- Reduce backaches, constipation, bloating and swelling
- Boost your mood and energy levels
- Help you sleep better
- Prevent excess weight gain
- Promote muscle tone, strength and endurance
- Reduce the risk of gestational diabetes
- Lowers risk of high blood pressure
Remember to warm up, stretch and cool down. Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated, and be careful to avoid overheating. Ask your husband, your Mom or a friend to exercise with you for companionship because you are more likely to stick with an exercise plan if it involves an activity you enjoy. Even a simple brisk walk around the block is good for you and baby. Wear shoes with good support in them, and exercise on level surfaces such as a treadmill to avoid falls.
If you're not sure whether a particular activity is safe during pregnancy, check with your doctor and always listen to your body signals. The next nine months will fly by quickly, so enjoy the journey to motherhood!